NPD Group’s Liam Callahan has revealed that the August 2015 retail sales figures indicate that Madden NFL 16 is the best-selling game for that month.
Callahan said, “Madden NFL 16…maintains its status as a key video game franchise, ranking as the third best-selling franchise to date (since 1995, when NPD began tracking VG sales).” There are overall, new physical software sales that are up by 34% for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U. However, the last-gen consoles has seen a dramatic drop of software sales at around 51% for the month.
Callahan added, “New launches collectively declined by 16 percent compared to August 2014 launches. While titles that launched in June trended favorably compared to the performance of June 2014 launches, July launches also declined by 42 percent.
“Call of Duty has two games within the top 10 this month, with Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack performing favorably with increased sales versus prior months. This may be related to the Call of Duty: Black Ops III multiplayer beta that occurred in late August across PS4, Xbox One, and PC.”
August 2015 Top 10 Games (New physical retail only; across all platforms including PC)
1. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
3. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One)
4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5. Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
6. Rare Replay (Xbox One)
7. Until Dawn (PS4)
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack (360, PS3)
9. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One)
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
July’s number one game was Lego: Jurassic World, followed by Batman Arkham Knight and Minecraft. In August of 2014 Madden 15 was on the top of the list alongside with Diablo III Reaper of Souls and Minecraft.